It's official! We have moved to our new District website, now located at acpsd.net. Please take a moment to visit and explore our new online home for updated information on all items related to Aiken County Public Schools.
As a reminder, our individual school web pages will continue to link back to School Fusion (hosted at this site) until the start of the new school year when all school-related pages will make the transition to our new web platform.
Thank you for your continued interest in and support of Aiken County Public Schools, and welcome to acpsd.net!
North Augusta Elementary
100 Years of Educational Service
North Augusta Elementary-100 years in the making,
For teachers and children, a process of giving and taking.
The old school was quaint with large rooms and a creaking floor,
The lunchroom was designed for those delicious lunches next door.
Classes were large, but children followed the rules.
They worked to succeed, using their study skills and learning tools.
As our city began to grow, a new school was planned,
Near the old Mealing Field where baseball was played in the sand.
The merging of two schools and the cooperation of teachers,
Made our collegiality one of our best features.
Now under the new leadership of Mrs. Reese and Mrs. Walters,
We welcome many more years of progress you see.
By meeting the challenges given long, long ago,
We look to the future with hearts all aglow.
North Augusta Elementary
By Connie Bryan
NAE Through the Years
Principals Throughout the Years
|1899 Professor J.C. Shecut||1902 Professor E.P Clark|
|1905 Professor J.F. Thomasson||1910 Professor Ernest Anderson|
|1913 Professor G.W. Coggins||1915 Professor B.F. Monroe|
|1916 Professor Ernest Anderson||1918 Professor W.E. Lake|
|1919 Professor E.M. Anderson||1922 Professor J.F. Rickerson|
|1923 Maj. T.J. Lyon||1928 Mrs. Mamie R. Chance|
|1951 Mr. A.L. Baxley||1976 Mrs. Frances Bell|
|1981 Mr. Eddie Watkins||1986 Mr. Hubert Turner|
|1990 Dr. Cecelia Davison||2002 Dr. Angela Burkhalter|
|2009 Mrs. Laurie Reese|
|2014 Mrs. Wendy Jacobs|
|2015 Mrs. Patricia Wilson|
Milestones in a Century of Service
- 1899 North Augusta Land Company hired Miss Nina Verdery to teach 13 pupils in the small school house on West Avenue.
- 1902 Citizens built a four room school house with an auditorium on Georgia Avenue for over a hundred pupils, but it burned in 1904.
- 1905 A three story brick free public school, which was a part of the special school district in Aiken County, opened as a result of issuing $12,000 of twenty year bonds.
- 1912 A three story brick high school building was built beside the grammar school in this district known as Schultz School District. This building later became North Augusta Elementary and served students until 1986.
- 1939 A large high school was constructed across the street on Carolina Avenue. This school later served as the junior high before becoming part of the campus for North Augusta Elementary through 1985.
- 1986 The spacious and comfortable school we know today was provided through the Aiken County School District and has served in some years over 1000 students.
- North Augusta Elementary, a 21st Century Community Learning Center, has become a Red Carpet School, a finalist for Palmetto’s Finest, an incentive reward winner, an Exemplary Writing School, multiple grant winner, and an outstanding model of technology and teaching.
- 2010 North Augusta Elementary receives Red Carpet School Award for the second time.